Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Walk--9/12/12


"Behold, this day your eyes have seen how the LORD gave you today into my hand in the cave. And some told me to kill you, but I spared you. I said, ‘I will not put out my hand against my lord, for he is the LORD's anointed.’ See, my father, see the corner of your robe in my hand. For by the fact that I cut off the corner of your robe and did not kill you, you may know and see that there is no wrong or treason in my hands. I have not sinned against you, though you hunt my life to take it. May the LORD judge between me and you, may the LORD avenge me against you, but my hand shall not be against you. As the proverb of the ancients says, ‘Out of the wicked comes wickedness.’ But my hand shall not be against you. After whom has the king of Israel come out? After whom do you pursue? After a dead dog! After a flea! May the LORD therefore be judge and give sentence between me and you, and see to it and plead my cause and deliver me from your hand.”

(1 Samuel 24:10-15 ESV)

Prayer. The act of voicing one's thanks, concerns, adoration. A personal discussion with God. Always ended the same way...."in Jesus's name, Amen."

But what does this mean? It's so often and too easy for Christians to go through this and forget its meaning. It's literal and its actual meaning. We're praying everything in the name of Jesus. That's kind of a big deal.

I went to the Walk at Sevier Heights tonight and I enjoy it. It's a great addition to the rest of my busy week, especially on a day like Wednesday, where the middle of the week can bring the stress and pressure of half a week to come. It also provides some simple, yet very helpful, reminders of where I stand with God.

We, and I, are susceptible to pray to God with an idea of wanting to forward progress. It's not an unheard  of idea. Society has one idea that involves everyone in school to go as far as they can and achieve the utmost  highest achievements as possible. Not a problem, necessarily. It becomes a problem when we take this mindset and apply it to our prayer. Praying should not be an idea of progress and this is one aspect where Christians, including myself, get into trouble.

I will not sacrifice obedience for the sake of convenience.

In the above verses from 1 Samuel, David, the eventual king appointed by God, goes against the popular belief of his friends to kill Saul, who, at the time, was the king appointed by God. Saul, who went out to kill David and his men, happened to enter the same cave as David and his men. David then went and cut off a corner of Saul's robe, but was quickly repentant and convicted of his act. Cutting corners (figuratively, not just in this literal sense) goes against our obedience, goes against who we are as humans, our character that God has provided for us. If we keep on taking every open door that becomes available to us, even if it goes against who we are and what our values are, then are we honoring God and giving God the glory? Every door that becomes open doesn't necessarily come from God. The perfect opportunity needs to be weighed with the Word of God. Is this where God wants me to go? The perfect opportunity might be perfect for a number of reasons, but it's probably filled with emotions, which tend to fog or cloud our judgment and decision-making process (I should know...).

A simple idea, but one that many struggle with and one that convicts many. Throw a krispy kreme donut on top and it makes for a wonderful Wednesday night.

1 comment: